Tuesday 21 June 2011

Hiatus

I've not put any updates here since the D33 race as I've been taking a small hiatus from long distance running. My injurys last year meant I've been left with less than optimal running fitness and I made the decsion to abandon ultra running at least until I had retained my form up to marathon distance.

Progress is slow but I am feeling fast again. I am training daily with Mike using Hadd methods and have developed my areobic base considerably in the last 4-5 months. Heart rate training at 300(ish) miles per month has yielded good results. I've set a new half marathon PB of 1:29 (from 1:35) and new 10K PB of 38:53 (from 40:29).

Thanks to Rhona for the pic


Not sure I'll do another 10K this year as they are too bloody fast. The plan is to do 2 half marathons over the summer (Dyce and Moray) to try and get closer to 1:25 and then my main race is the Loch Ness Marathon in October. My PB is 3:23 so I'd like to hammer that.

Then, I am hoping to test the waters with a longer run again. Hopefully I should cope better with a larger areobic base and some strength in the legs. At the moment I am thinking about a longer run late October/early November but will wait to see what Mike's plans are. Whatever happens I'll still be trying to use Hadd methods as they have worked out really well for me. Here is the plan for those who are curious:
http://www.counterpartcoaching.com/hadd.pdf

A huge congratulations to all the WHW runners at the weekend. Massive well done to Mike for his 21.5 hour finish - the man is a machine!

No comments:

Post a Comment